There’s news in the music world happening this week–here’s a quick rundown (assume Kurt Loder voice):
- UPDATE: LCD Soundsystem have announced a final 3-hour show at Madison Square Garden on April 22nd, and then the band will call it quits. Band leader, James Murphy has previously said that he’d like to do other things like produce and collaborate.
- The White Stripes have officially called it quits — This is from the No-Surprise-Here department as Jack White’s been doing 23 other projects and Meg has been … Hey, where has she been?! They say its amicable and want to “preserve what is beautiful and special about the band and have it stay that way.” OK, then.
- The Decemberists wrote a song for Yo Gabba Gabba — It’s a nice little kiddy diddy — kinda pretty. Watch it here now…
- The New Pornographers are going right back on the road — But, NOT coming to Portland! WTF?! C’mon people, we’re your biggest fans. For people who live in popular cities, they are touring with Menomena and The National.
- The Pains of Being Pure at Heart recorded their new record with Flood and Alan Moulder – Pitchfork has a preview song that sounds a bit like Smashing Pumpkins. And a nice interview, too.
- Hot Chip and Spiritualized have recorded a side-project album together. I say again, “WTF?!” According to NME, this is actually their second recording together as About Group, and was created in one day. So, it will probably be really, really good.
- CitiGroup has acquired EMI – so now maybe you can buy music at your ATM? EMI is the 4th largest conglomerate of labels, so this will likely have no effect on good music being released into the world at all. The lads will sing you out now…